BridgeDuel: More Than Just a Game — A New Attempt to Bring the Online Bridge Community to Life
By Bert Toar Polii – Tukang Bridge
I have tried BridgeDuel. And I am interested.
It started with a simple message from the creator of a new online bridge game called BridgeDuel, inviting me to visit the site and play a few deals.
Naturally, I tried it.
After playing several deals, I told the creator that I was interested and wanted to know more about the person behind the game and, more importantly, the vision behind it.
Her answer turned out to be much more interesting than simply an explanation of a new application.
Behind BridgeDuel, there is a story about bridge, technology, friendship, and an international community.
It Was Not Created Because of BBO
There is one question that naturally comes to mind.
BridgeDuel appeared almost at the same time as the recent changes to Bridge Base Online (BBO), including limitations on some free play.
So, was BridgeDuel created because of BBO's decision?
The answer from its creator, Vasiliki Nika, was very clear:
No.
The development of BridgeDuel had already begun long before BBO announced those changes.
However, the timing happened to coincide.
And perhaps that is actually quite interesting.
When a major online bridge platform changes the way players can play, some players naturally begin looking for new alternatives and new ways to enjoy bridge online.
BridgeDuel happens to arrive at an interesting moment.
Not because it was designed to replace BBO.
But because the world of online bridge itself is changing.
Who Is Vasiliki Nika?
Behind BridgeDuel is Vasiliki Nika, who has been involved in bridge for many years, both as a player and as a creator of online bridge applications.
And this is not her first experience in online bridge.
In the past, she created Leonardo Bridge.
What is interesting is that Leonardo was not simply an application.
It developed a small but genuinely international community.
Vasiliki told me that she played with members of that community every day and, through Leonardo, met people from many different countries.
That experience clearly left an impression.
And I think this is one of the most important parts of the BridgeDuel story.
Because, ultimately:
Bridge is not only about cards.
An Online Bridge Game Should Be More Than a Program
I strongly agree with Vasiliki's view that an online bridge game should not simply be a program that:
deals the cards → lets you play → finishes the deal.
Bridge is much more than that.
There is interaction.
There is friendship.
There is competition.
There are discussions.
There is learning.
There is the opportunity to meet people from different countries and different cultures.
And, of course, there are sometimes long discussions about whether we should have taken the finesse or not! 😄
But those interactions are precisely what make bridge alive.
Over the years, I have seen many friendships develop through bridge.
You can sit down at a bridge table with someone you have never met before.
Forty minutes later, you are discussing bidding.
An hour later, you may be exchanging contact details.
A few years later, you might meet again at an international championship.
That is the power of bridge.
Vasiliki Has Returned
After being away from the online bridge world for several years, Vasiliki decided to return.
But she did not simply bring Leonardo Bridge back.
Instead, she decided to create a completely new game from the ground up.
She combined the experience she gained from Leonardo with the possibilities offered by today's technology.
And that is how:
BridgeDuel was born.
For me, this makes BridgeDuel even more interesting.
It is not simply a technology project.
There is experience behind it.
There are lessons learned from an earlier online community.
And there is a desire to try something new.
The Idea Is Simple
Vasiliki's main idea was to create a modern and easy-to-use environment where people can play even when they do not have a partner or opponents available.
That immediately caught my attention.
Because every bridge player knows the classic problem:
“I want to play, but my partner isn't available.”
Or:
“My partner is available, but we don't have opponents.”
Or, in the worst case:
“My partner is available, but is not speaking to me after the last board.” 😂
BridgeDuel offers a different possibility.
You can play without having to wait for a complete table to become available.
For now, the platform offers individual tournaments, where everyone plays the same deals and the results are compared on a leaderboard.
Simple.
But quite interesting.
Same Deals — Different Decisions
This is probably the aspect of BridgeDuel that I find most interesting.
Everyone plays the same deals.
Then the results are compared.
That fits the fundamental nature of bridge very well.
We may receive the same cards, but we can make completely different decisions.
One player bids one way.
Another takes a different line.
One declarer makes the contract.
Another goes down.
And then we look at the leaderboard and ask:
“How did he get a better result than me?” 😄
That is where the learning begins.
We can ask ourselves:
- What did the other players do?
- Was my bidding correct?
- Was my declarer play good enough?
- Did I miss an opportunity?
- Could I have defended differently?
In that sense, the leaderboard is not only a competition.
It can also become a learning tool.
No Partner to Blame!
There is another interesting feature of an individual format.
You play by yourself.
No partner.
Which means that if the result is bad...
you cannot blame your partner!
😂
This time, you have to take responsibility for your own decisions.
Your bidding.
Your card play.
Your judgment.
Your risk-taking.
And finally, your result.
For experienced players, that can be quite revealing.
Bridge Is Really About Decisions
At the end of the day, the cards are only part of the story.
What makes bridge fascinating is what we do with the cards we receive.
When do we bid?
When do we stop?
Do we finesse?
Do we play for the drop?
Do we take a safety play?
Do we take a risk?
And sometimes, after the deal is finished, we say to ourselves:
“Why didn't I do the opposite?” 😂
That is bridge.
And a platform where everyone plays the same deals can highlight those differences in decision-making.
BridgeDuel Is Still a Baby
It is important to emphasize one thing.
BridgeDuel is very new.
Vasiliki told me that I am among the first people she invited to try it.
So we should not expect a fully developed platform with every possible feature already available.
It is still in the testing phase.
New features are being added step by step, and different ways of playing and interacting are planned for the future.
In other words:
BridgeDuel is still growing.
And I think that is actually exciting.
Because the players who try it now have the opportunity to contribute to its development.
Vasiliki told me that listening to players is especially important to her.
She does not want BridgeDuel to be shaped only by her own ideas.
She wants its development to be influenced by what the bridge community actually needs and enjoys.
I think that is the right approach.
From an Application to a Community
For me, this is perhaps the most important part of the whole story.
Technology can allow us to play bridge.
But community makes us want to come back.
That was one of the lessons Vasiliki learned from Leonardo Bridge.
A successful online bridge platform is not simply about technology.
It is about people.
Friends we look for.
Opponents we want to beat.
Players we want to chat with.
Rankings we want to climb.
And, of course, that irresistible question:
“Can I move up a few places tomorrow?”
That is how an online platform becomes alive.
BridgeDuel and the Future of Online Bridge
I think BridgeDuel has arrived at an interesting time.
Technology continues to evolve.
At the same time, bridge players increasingly want flexibility.
We do not always have a partner.
We do not always have four players available.
We do not always have time for a long tournament.
But we still want to play.
So perhaps one of the important questions for the future is:
Can technology make bridge easier to play without taking away the soul of bridge?
That is one of the challenges that BridgeDuel will have to answer.
I Want to See How It Develops
I have tried BridgeDuel.
My first impression?
Interesting.
But I am not ready to give it a final rating.
Why?
Because it is still very new.
Instead, I want to see how it develops over the coming months.
What new features will appear?
How will the community respond?
Will players from different countries join?
How will interaction between players develop?
And most importantly:
Will BridgeDuel make people want to come back and play again?
That, for me, is one of the simplest tests of any game.
If we finish a tournament and say:
“That's enough.”
Fine.
But if we say:
“Hmm... maybe just one more deal.”
Then we have a problem. 😂
Because one deal can become five.
Five can become ten.
And suddenly we have forgotten what time it is.
That's bridge.
Let's Try It Together
I would like to invite bridge players, especially from Indonesia and around the world, to try BridgeDuel for themselves.
Don't just ask whether it is good or bad.
Try it yourself.
Play a few deals.
Check the leaderboard.
Experience the game.
And then give your feedback.
Because BridgeDuel is still at an early stage, and according to Vasiliki, the players' voices will be an important part of determining its future direction.
I think that is worth supporting.
Not because every new idea will necessarily succeed.
But because bridge needs people who are willing to try something new.
From Leonardo to BridgeDuel
I find Vasiliki's story particularly interesting.
She once created Leonardo Bridge.
Through Leonardo, she experienced what it was like to build a small but truly international bridge community.
After several years away, she decided to return.
But rather than simply repeat the past, she created something new using the experience of yesterday and the technology of today.
Leonardo was the experience.
BridgeDuel is the next chapter.
Now we will see whether this next chapter can bring even more people into the world of online bridge.
I certainly hope so.
Because ultimately, what we need is not simply more bridge applications.
We need more people playing bridge.
And if an application can make someone say:
“I don't have a partner today, but I can still play bridge.”
then I believe it is already offering something valuable.
Welcome, BridgeDuel
I have tried it.
And I am interested in seeing what comes next.
Perhaps BridgeDuel will become a major online bridge platform.
Perhaps it will remain a small but passionate community.
Perhaps it will evolve into something we cannot yet imagine.
Only time will tell.
But I believe new ideas deserve the opportunity to be tested.
So, welcome to the online bridge world, BridgeDuel.
I have played the first duel.
And I will be watching for the next one.
Bert Toar Polii
The Bridge Guy ♠️

2 comments:
Thank you so much, Bert. I read the article and I am truly moved.
You understood not only what BridgeDuel is today, but also the idea and the dream behind it. You presented both my story and the project with such warmth, generosity and insight.
This is the first full article ever written about BridgeDuel, and it means a great deal to me. Thank you from my heart for giving it such a beautiful welcome.
Vasiliki Nika
I will definitely give it a try!
Post a Comment